I came across this article from Hubspot and thought it was relevant to share on our blog. If you are thinking about re-designing your web site take a look at this list. You can read the full article here:
1. Pop-up Ads – Do people still put these on their web site? Great way to annoy visitors
2. Automatically Playing Multimedia Content When a Page Loads – We still get requests to add music to a web page… Please don’t
3. Disorienting Animations – Content is king and you have 5 seconds or less to impress
4. Generic Stock Photography – Keep it meaningful and relevant
5. Including a Contact Us form instead of Contact Information – Please provide a phone number, address and email and make it prominent.
6. Unintelligle About Us Page – Write about yourself in easy to understand language. Sum it up quickly.
7. SEO Driven Copy – Copy is great but don’t over do it. Don’t over indulge inserting keywords into your copy. Google is smarter than that.
8. Not Including Social Sharing Buttons on your Content – Make it easy to share your content
9. You Don’t Have a Blog – How else will you publish information about who you are and what you do?
10. Titles and Content are Incongruous – Your page titles should match your content, and they should be unique on each page.
11. Your Call to Action copy doesn’t align with the offer – Self explanatory I think
12. Your Internal Linking isn’t User Friendly – Keep it simple and logical. No dead links.
13. Sliders that Take Forever, and Ever, to Load – Optimize those slider images and reduce the size of your slider. Nobody is going to sit there and watch your slider anyway.
14. Using Flash – Believe it or not we still have requests to build Flash landing pages for the home page. Bad for search, bad for multiple devices and nobody has time to watch your Flash animation.
15. The Worst Offender: I don’t know what to do – What should people do when they land on your home page? Is there a call to action? Is it clearly communicated?
Monte is one of the original founders of the company in 2003. Monte is a creative talent with 20 years experience in web design and information technology. He works with clients on a daily basis to develop, maintain and market their web sites. Monte is also in charge of the web hosting environment and server administration duties for the company.